Man, Dog Fatally Electrocuted In Anne Arundel County: Firefighters

SEVERN, MD — A man and his dog were fatally electrocuted Sunday in Severn, firefighters confirmed to Patch.

Officials have not yet released the victim’s name, but they told Patch that he was 31 years old.

“It’s believed that the subject came into contact with a chain link fence which became energized by a downed power line,” Anne Arundel County Fire Department spokesperson Steven Bishop told Patch in a Monday email. “The victim did pass [at] the hospital, and unfortunately his dog was deceased on scene.”

Find out what's happening in Odenton-Severnwith free, real-time updates from Patch.

Around 5:30 p.m., multiple 911 calls reported fallen trees and wires around Maryland Avenue and Disney Avenue in Severn.

First responders said they found several large trees toppled along with multiple downed power lines that were arching.

Find out what's happening in Odenton-Severnwith free, real-time updates from Patch.

Crews called for additional units.

While prioritizing the hazards, firefighters said they found the electrocution victim in critical condition and immediately began life-saving efforts.

Officials said they took him to the University of Maryland Baltimore Washington Medical Center in Glen Burnie, where he died soon after.

Investigators said the electrocution happened in the 1400 block of Maryland Avenue in the backyard of a two-story, single-family home with a basement.

The Anne Arundel County Fire Department said 34 firefighters responded.

Assisting agencies included:

This map shows the area where officials said the electrocution happened.

Click Here:


Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

Leave a Reply